Our goal at Families Together Cooperative Nursery School is to nurture the development of social, intellectual, language, creative and physical skills, while meeting each child’s emotional needs in a safe and secure environment. We believe in the inclusion of children of all abilities and developmental levels and strive to create an environment that is appropriate and healthy for all children.
Each classroom’s schedule includes:
- Opening Group/Circle Time – includes a variety of songs, group games, group literacy, art, math, or science activities, discussions, and daily class routines
- Gross Motor Time – outdoor play or play time in the gym during inclement weather
- Classroom Play Time – a variety of centers are set up with rotating themes throughout the classroom. Students are able to engage in activities of their choosing, while teachers intentionally guide and extend play and lead special projects.
- Snack Time – a healthy non-processed snack is served family-style to promote social skills and manners
Each class has two highly qualified teachers and one assistant teacher. Our low adult:child ratio allows teachers to know each child and to make their first school experience one that builds self-confidence, encourages respect for others and instills an enthusiasm for lifelong learning. Children are encouraged to pursue what they love while being introduced to new and exciting learning opportunities.
The 2020-2021 School Year
School is in session late August through late May. All classes are led by two teachers and one assistant teacher. For 2020-2021, FTCNS classes have between 12 and 15 students.
The following programs are offered for the 2020-2021 school year:
- Two, three, four, or five mornings-per-week classes for 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 year olds.
- Three or four afternoons-per-week classes for 3 1/2 to 5 year olds.
- Lunch Bunch, our 2-hour Monday through Thursday optional lunchtime enrichment program, children must be 3 to attend.
- Birches Virtual Class is available Monday through Wednesday for students who cannot attend in-person school. A fourth day, Thursday, will be added for the Winter Session and families can choose the 3- or 4-day option.
- Sunflowers, a fun-filled outdoor drop-off program led by FTCNS teachers for current and alumni FTCNS kids ages 3-6. Meets Tuesday afternoons.
- Our Thursday afternoon or Friday morning Fall/Spring Dandelions class for 3 1/2 to 5 year olds that focuses on literacy development, nature study, and off-site explorations. Parent chaperones assist regularly in the fall and spring sessions. Held at local parks.
- Friday morning Dandelions Winter class for 3 1/2 to 5 year olds that focuses on literacy development, nature study, and around-the-neighborhood explorations. Held at FTCNS. Enrollment in Dandelions Winter requires Dandelions Fall/Spring enrollment.